When preparing to have a baby there is a lot on your mind. Whether this is your first child or fifth, you are busy prioritizing to dos and getting as much organized as you can before your newborn baby arrives. One detail that can be missed is to schedule your newborn photography session. You can do this months in advance and set a tentative date, or schedule it within the last couple weeks if you are flexible on scheduling and can make it happen on a weekday. But, let’s back up. Is a newborn photoshoot something you want to do? Do you even want the hassle?
Let me give you 5 reasons why you should do a newborn photo shoot.
1. It can be at your home. Hear that? You don’t even have to leave the house. Stop and change a diaper or feed the baby, change your shirt if you get spit up on. Whatever you need, this is on your terms. No loading the car or worrying about the weather. This is meant to be stress free and simple. The kid(s) will be the MOST comfortable because they are in their environment and you will feel great because you know that in less than two hours, you can put your sweatpants back on and get back to cuddling that little buddy.
So now, are you worried about how your house will look in photos? Don’t. I have done photo shoots in strip malls that have turned out great. I can use windows, stairs, couches, whatever. If it is nice, we can step outside. These sessions are about you and your family at this time in your lives. Celebrate it, whatever it is. This will make these images special many years from now.
2. You get to be IN the photos, looking good. Of course you are going to be taking selfies and your family will have a bunch of phone photos to share. BUT, this is different. For this photo session you can be showered, dressed, and looking your best. You will have a professional that is skilled at finding your most flattering post baby angles, finding the light in your home and capturing this time as it is. Candids, portraits, details. Nursery, home, whatever you want. This is an opportunity to tell the full newborn story with all of you in it.
3. It can be fun. Make this session what you want it to be. This will not be a torturous duration of CHEESE and endless stiff photographer adjustments. Find the right newborn photographer and your sessions will be fun. They will help things along and laugh with you, they have seen it all. They do this for a living so you don’t have to. Your photo gallery will include a variety of candid, posed, and detail shots that tell the full story of this time. That is great.
4. It doesn’t have to be that complicated. Rather than doing it yourself or having a family member take the pictures, take the easy option and hire a pro. Make this special. Your kids will recognize that this is something different and do great (even fussy kids photograph well from a photojournalist standpoint, it is authentic). Within a 2 hour period they are bound to show every emotion that have. That is awesome. You just take care of you and the rest will come together.
5. You can’t get this time back. Everyone tells you this, then it is you and it is obvious. Maybe not if you are barely making it through the first few weeks, but at some point… I swear, these moments will become forever priceless. Wait a few years and look back. Your child will look SO small, your family so young. How you interact will change and how you parent will evolve. These kind of things will show in your photography. It is a special time, embrace that and forget the hesitation.
Want to learn more about a baby’s first year package? Click here!